ETH Zürich - MAS in Management, Technology and Economics
The "Master of Advanced Studies in Management, Technology, and Economics" was introduced in 1989 as a continuing education course of study in management and production sciences. Today, the university continuing education programme is taught as a demanding MAS and is a four-semester programme for people in the work force that builds on the student's expertise in technical and natural sciences. The objective is to develop a holistic, interdisciplinary mindset. This programme enables participants to take on demanding professional management tasks.
Participants in this program will enhance their ability to:
The appropriate candidates for the MAS are mainly junior staff with technical or scientific university education, who work in the industrial, service or public sector. The participants consist of graduates from different origins and from different universities. The majority of participants emanate from ETH Zurich. The average age is between 30- 40 years.
Most of the candidates have worked for four to six years, some may have a leading position or run a project and therefore need key qualifications required for senior management positions. Others may be self-employed and need to learn skills to manage their own business.
The MAS MTEC/BWI offers a multi-faceted and attractive range of lectures. From the first to the third semester, the programme teaches professional competencies in the following areas: corporate and personnel management, marketing, technology and innovation management, logistics and operational management, business administration and economics and methodical competence. A minimum number of subjects must be taken in these competency areas, which are supplemented by elective subjects. This way students can set personal focal points and create a flexible curriculum. The range of lectures is exceptionally large. In the fourth semester students write a 10-week Master's thesis in the subject of economics.
General Management and Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management: Work Process Design
- General Management
- Human Resource Management: Leading Teams
- Organizational Development, Change Management
Strategy, Technology and Innovation Management
- Introduction to Marketing
- Strategic Management
- Managing the Technology Driven Enterprise
- Corporate Sustainability
Information Management, Operations Management
- Logistics, Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Management Information Systems
- Information Systems Implementation
- Transformation: Corporate Development and IT
- Strategic Supply Chain Management
Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
- Systems Dynamics and Complexity
- Operations Research
- Empirical Methods in Management
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Decisions and Markets
- Economic Growth, Cycles and Policy
- Resource and Environmental Economics
- Accounting for Managers
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Management
- Financial Market Risks
Skill-Based Trainings (MAS MTEC students only)
- Presentation Skills
- Negotiation Techniques and Communication Skills
- Project Management Applied
- Advanced Project Management: Cases and Coaching
- Human Resource Management: Skills in Practice
Electives offered by the MAS MTEC (MAS MTEC students only)
- Start-Ups and Venture Capital
- Brands and Brand Management
- Basic Management Skills
- Knowledge Management
One Week Course Abroad (MAS MTEC students only)
- Aspects of Corporate Finance in Barcelona
Electives Offered by the Departement D-MTEC
- International Management: Context and Management in East Asia and India
- Psychological Aspects of Risk Management and Technology
- Alliance Advantage - Exploring the Value Creation Potential of Collaborations
- ERP and SCM Software Systems
- Knowledge Management
- Basic Management Skills
- International Economics: Theory of New Trade and Multinational Firms
- Introduction to Law
- Patent Law and License Contracts
- Corporate Strategy
- The Economics of Climate Change
- Basics of Scientific Work
- Corporate Sustainability Project Industrial Engineering and Management Methodology for Thesis in Companies
- International Management: Eastern Europe
- Technology Transfer
Courses Offered by Other ETH Departements
- Maximum two courses can be chosen from other ETH departments. Special permission from Maria Murillo necessary. Please send a request to email@example.com. No credit points will be assigned for language courses.
- The master thesis is performed in a private company, either in full time (10 weeks) or in part time (16 weeks).
|The programme is designed for graduates with technical or scientifical degrees of the ETH or other universities which meet the requirements of the ETH.|
Requirements to attend the course:
|Language(s) of instruction:||English|
Dario Cohen, Head of Product Management in the field of safety and security systems at Siemens Building Technologies, Graduated in autumn 2008
"I was able to systematically reconsider and deepen my previous knowledge gained on-the-job. On top of this, I could acquire new competencies for developing my professional career. No matter at which stage of your career you are, such training opens your eyes for new and exciting domains and stimulates new ideas.
The MAS MTEC study offers a very high degree of flexibility in choosing the subjects, so actually you can assemble a complete education in management according to your own interests and needs. In addition, the quality of the courses and the competence of the professors are on a very high level, as you would expect from a top institution such as ETH.
The MAS MTEC optimally equips you with all the competencies and know-how you need to master the tasks in middle management. Due to its technology orientation and its reference to ETH it is especially well suited for students aiming for a career in an industrial enterprise."
Edit Koch, International Key Account Manager, in a Swiss leading food production company, Graduated in autumn 2009
"During the MAS MTEC I have received the tools and the appropriate knowledge required to successfully operate in management. The programme gave me the knowledge and understanding of complex decision-making processes in companies.
The MAS provides a good balance between knowledge transfer and practical case studies. Especially, I appreciated the cooperation and exchange with the other students who have had different professional experiences and backgrounds. The exciting network of students and professors constitutes an interesting added value of the MAS MTEC."
ETH Zurich. The name is known throughout the world: The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich is a science and technology university with an outstanding research record as well as a strong focus on education. Excellent research conditions, state-of-the-art infrastructure and an attractive urban environment add up to the ideal setting for creative personalities. 18'000 people from Switzerland and abroad are currently studying, working or conducting research at ETH Zurich. ETH earned its excellent national and international reputation through major achievements in research as well as through first-rate teaching and services.
Continuing education as a core task
ETH Zurich is a leading provider of university continuing education in Switzerland and is committed to the highest international quality standards. According to the Act on the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology, continuing education is one of their core tasks and is prominently enshrined in the ETH Zurich mission statement.
Study in Zürich
Zurich is situated in the heart of Europe. Thanks to its many globally operating companies in the industry and service sector, the Zurich region is Switzerland's economic centre.
A high standard of living and good educational institutions are key factors for this knowledge-oriented society. The density of renowned institutions of higher education and research institutes in Zurich is unique.